Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Garnets and Mud!

So yesterday, my geology class took a field trip down the road to the Etowah River to dig up garnets. Now, I know when I say garnets, you think bright shiny red gems.....not at all! This is what I'm talking about:

We brought hammers and screw drivers and looked for a spot where most of the mica schist was located. Since the trail was located next to a river, the trail was very muddy and slippery. Knowing how clumsy I am, we could all assume that a fall at least once that day was a guarantee. Yep! I fell twice! The first time was while walking downhill to find a new spot to dig. That fall wasn't very bad except for landing on my rear end which was already bruised (reference previous post). Then, as if once wasn't enough, I fell on our way back to the cars. This wasn't just any fall though. Of course the fact that the person in front of me jumped over a mud puddle didn't affect me one bit. I stepped right in that mud puddle and my left leg sank about a foot in the mud. Ugh! My leg was soaked in mud. Including my nice comfortable clarks shoes. And they are leather. Mom wasn't so happy about that. But I was able to salvage them once I got home by using a hose and paper towels. I came home with a sanwhich bag full of potential garnets!!! I cant wait to polish them up and turn one into a necklace. Does anyone know if there is a chemical to extract the garnets from the mica? I tried vinegar but that was too weak.
-Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment